Fathers’ Rights

West St. Paul, MN, Custody & Parental Rights Lawyer

Twin Cities Legal Counsel to Fathers

Did you father a child before you were ready? Is your minor son’s girlfriend pregnant? Did you have a child with a woman you weren’t married to? If you now feel it is important to be in your child’s life…if you want your son’s rights protected in the event he wants a relationship with his child in the future…if you want to be in the lives of your children, even though you didn’t marry their mother…you need an experienced lawyer who understands the laws and who will fight for your rights.

At the Law Office of Kelly A. Staples, in West St. Paul, I advocate for fathers in disputes involving children of divorce and separation. Often times there is a societal and legal bias in favor of the mother that affects decisions regarding custody, domestic disputes, and harassment and protective orders. I work hard to overcome this bias to ensure that you have a place in your children’s lives. Contact me for a free initial consultation.

Many men falsely believe that they have natural rights as the father of a child. In Minnesota, the biological mother to a child born out of wedlock is presumed to be the custodial parent of that child. Fathers, on the other hand, must petition the court in order to have any custody or visitation rights in these situations.

As a father, it is essential that you know your rights and responsibilities and that you take active steps to protect your rights. You need to take the appropriate action now to safeguard your rights in the future.

At the Law Office of Kelly A. Staples, I represent fathers in a broad range of legal matters, including:

  • Child Support and Paternity Issues: I work with men who have been ordered to pay child support and want to challenge paternity. A determination or admission of paternity could leave you with all of the obligations (such as child support), but without meaningful parental rights, including visitation. I can help you take the steps necessary to protect your rights, whether to be a parent or to be free of an unwarranted child support obligation. I also represent men who believe they have fathered a child and want to establish paternity, custody and parenting time.
  • Modification of Child Support: The Minnesota legislature enacted a new child support law in 2007, which has changed the way support is determined. If you are a father who is heavily involved with your children and spend a lot of time parenting them, you may be entitled to a reduction in your child support obligation; or, if you are the custodial parent, you may be entitled to an increase in the support you receive.
  • False Claims of Domestic Abuse: Unfortunately, false claims of domestic abuse are often made as a means of removing the father from the family home or to inhibit his rights to custody or parenting time. I will move quickly to request a “show cause” hearing, so that you can maintain or reestablish your relationship with your children.

Protect Your Rights

If you are a father in the Twin Cities metro region and you need experienced legal representation in a matter involving your children, contact my office to schedule a free initial consultation. I work hard to keep my overhead low so that I can provide more value to my clients. Evening and weekend appointments are available upon request and I will meet with you at a location that is convenient for you.

Send an E-Mail:

Pay Now | Visa | MasterCard | American Express | Discover