Divorce & Family Law
West St. Paul Attorney: Divorce and Family Law
If you are involved in a divorce or family law dispute in the Twin Cities metro area, you want a lawyer who knows the law and who will help you understand your options, so that you can make informed decisions that are in the best interests of you and your family. The choices you make now will affect you and your children for many years. You want an attorney who will help you find long-term solutions to your disagreements.
At the Law Office of Kelly A. Staples, in West St. Paul, I represent clients throughout the Twin Cities metro region in all matters related to or arising out of a divorce. I have experience in resolving matters through negotiated settlement, however, I am more than willing to take your case to trial if doing so is in your best interests. Contact me for a free initial consultation.
In my experience, many people enter into divorce proceedings with inaccurate or unrealistic ideas about how things will be after the divorce is final. I begin my representation by providing a realistic assessment of what you can expect. I then try to keep you fully informed throughout the process, so that there are no surprises and no false expectations.
I work with clients at all stages of a divorce, from the initial filing and determination of temporary custody, visitation and support arrangements, to post-judgment requests for modification when circumstances change. I handle all matters related to or arising out of divorce, including:
- Child Custody and Visitation: I will help you establish temporary as well as permanent arrangements for custody and parenting time. I work hard to resolve child custody and parenting time issues through negotiated settlement, avoiding the time and cost of protracted litigation.
- Child Support: My divorce practice includes guidance in the determination of appropriate levels of child support. I will help you navigate the Minnesota child support guidelines to produce an order that is fair to all parties.
- Spousal Maintenance (Alimony): I will help you determine if alimony is appropriate and, if so, what the amount should be, how frequently it should be paid, and how long it should be paid.
- The Division of Marital Property: I will help you structure a fair and equitable distribution of marital assets, including 401 (k) plan assets, IRAs, and other retirement assets. I can prepare a QDRO if necessary.
- Move-aways: I represent clients in situations where the the custodial parent either seeks to relocate the children outside of the immediate area or has already done so.
- Domestic Violence and Orders For Protection: I represent petitioners and respondents in cases where domestic violence has occurred or is alleged. If you are the victim of domestic violence I can assist you in finding resources and support as well as protecting yourself and your children by obtaining an Order for Protection. If you have been falsely accused of engaging in domestic violence, I will provide aggressive representation against those claims and assist you in preventing an Order for Protection from being placed against you.
Contact My Office for Thorough and Dedicated Legal Assistance
If you are a party to a divorce in the Twin Cities metro region and you need experienced legal representation, contact my office to schedule a free initial consultation. I work hard to keep my overhead low so that I can provide more value to my clients. Evening and weekend appointments are available upon request and I will meet with you at a location that is convenient for you.